Roofing repair isn't easy to handle on your own, especially in the
Florida elements. Sunshine, wind, and rain all take a toll on both residential
roofs and homeowners who try DIY fixes. That said, you might be seeing problems
with your roof and have questions about residential roof replacement or repair.
For example, you might be wondering: How do I know whether I need
a roof repair or replacement? What if my home's roof is leaking? What are the
top causes for roof leaks and necessary repairs in Florida? What happens during
a roof inspection, and what does the job cost? How often will I need to repair
or replace my roof at my house in Florida? Can I find roofing companies near me
that can inspect my home's roof and guide me on next steps?
Read below to learn all you need to know about residential roof repair near me:
1. When do I need a roof repair?Sometimes, identifying the need for a roof repair is fairly easy: Your roof may have incurred damage from the winds of a tropical storm or hurricane. Or maybe your shingles were whipped and battered by wind and rain or warped and cracked in the Florida heat. If you notice bits of shingle in your gutters or your gutters are clogged, those are also signs that your shingles are damaged and in need of repair.
If you see signs of moisture inside the house, including leaks in your attic or water staining on the walls, that's another sure sign that it's time to inspect your roof. Other signs signaling time for repair or replacement include a sagging roof and mold or moss growing on your roof.
2. What if I have a leaky roof?
You might be able to tell that you have a leaky roof if you see missing shingles on your roof or shingle debris in your downspouts; if you see discoloration on your walls; if you find mold or moss growing on the exterior of your home; or if you see a telltale drip.
The top causes for roof leaks and needed repairs that we see in Florida include:
- aging shingles and roof materials that just aren't holding up
- poor workmanship and low-quality materials in the initial roof build
- damaged or punctured roof valleys, the section where the two slopes meet
- missing shingles or tiles, often from storm-force winds
- gutters clogged with branches, leaves, and other debris causing water to pool and then seep through the roof
Some of these problems won't be obvious just by standing outside and looking at your roof. You need to get your roof frequently inspected by a qualified Florida roofing company to make sure you minimize damage to your roof.
3. What happens during a roof inspection?
A roof inspector will check out both the exterior and interior of
the home. The exterior inspection will include checking for leaks and proper
flashing on the home's roof and looking over the condition of the roof
materials (such as shingles or tiles). An interior roof inspection includes
checking that the attic is properly insulated, looking for moisture and mold,
and ensuring that the home's ventilation is in good shape.
4. How often do I need to repair or replace my roof in Florida?How often you need to repair or replace your roof in Florida depends in part on your roofing materials. Take shingles, for example: Even though some shingles come with warranties that last two or three decades, their actual life spans in Florida can be much shorter because of the elements they're exposed to. Properly installed and maintained tile roofs in Florida can last up to 30 years.
5. How much does a roof replacement cost in Florida?
The roof replacement cost in Florida varies by a number of factors, including roofing material and the size of the home. But a home replacing a wood shingle roof on a home in Tampa may cost between $7.27 and $9.62 per square foot, which can mean something on the order of $10,000 to $15,000 for an average-sized home, according to HomeWyse.com. Replacing a tile roof costs more, ranging from $12.04 to $16.39 per square foot, or $14,450 to $19,667 to replace a tile roof on a 1,500-square-foot home in the Tampa area, according to HomeWyse estimates.
As you can see, it can be economical to get your home's roof inspected and repaired on a regular schedule so that you don't have to replace your home's roof before its time.
Finding residential roof repair near me
Are you looking for a local roofing company to fix the roof on your Florida home? You could Google "roofing companies near me," or you could try calling us, Florida's largest roofer. We have 75 years of experience with residential roofing issues just like yours. Contact us at Latite Roofing to schedule a roof inspection or to receive a free roof repair or replacement quote.